Reminder: Compass End of Year Picnic and Field Day Today!
Just a reminder that the 2015 Compass End-of-Year Picnic and Field Day is today! The forecast is sunny and 83-85 degrees!
Date: Wednesday, May 27
Time: 12:30 pm- 4:00 pm
Location: Nottoway Park
Address: 9537 Courthouse Road, Vienna 22181
Meet-Up: Shelter #1 + Picnic Area
Our field day got too big and too fun to be held on the lawns of the UUCF church…so Field Day is moving around the corner! Compass has reserved a section of Nottoway park in Vienna to hold our party! We will hold some semi-organized games and relays in the open fields for about an hour and a half. Then we will let the kids re-purpose the equipment, run around, and make up games.
Kids will be divided up in rough age groups to move through the “stations” of fun and silly games such as:
- Water-Sponge Soaker Relay
- Rubber Chicken Toss
- Sack Race
- Soccer Station
- Hula Hoop Relay
- Long Jump
- 3-Legged Race
- Tire Obstacle Course
In addition, Christopher Redford, Owner and Master Instructor of CJR Martial Arts in Ashburn, is going to lead some martial arts activities. Kids will learn a few basic karate steps, moves, and kicks, and then put those together in a game. There will be a craft station and additional lawn games such as bocce, bean bag toss, horseshoes, Frisbee, and volleyball.
- There are 20 picnic tables located under a large, shady cluster of trees. We will be finishing up the chess tournament, but you are invited to bring a picnic lunch starting around 12:30. We will begin organizing kids into groups around 1:00 pm.
- There are restrooms adjacent to our picnic area.
- There is a playground with a few climbing structures and 6 swings next to our picnic shelter.
- We ask everyone to bring a snack item (fruit, cookies, chips, etc.) to share mid afternoon.
- Bring your own water bottles, sunscreen, bug spray, and folding camp/sports chairs.
- Bring bats, gloves, and balls if you are interested in a pick-up game of baseball or soccer on an adjacent playing field.
- When arriving at Nottoway Park, drive to the back of the park, following the signs to Picnic Area. The drive will dead-end with parking lots to the left and to the right. Either area is fine. Our picnic area is behind the large grove of trees.
This event is open to anyone who attended Compass classes in 2014-15 and new families who have just registered for 2015-16 classes.
Many families have RSVP’d by e-mail. If you decide that your schedule is now open to coming to field day, you can contact us or just drop-in!