Compass Collaborative Student Newspaper
Write for the Compass Collaborative student newspaper! Starting in September 2023, the staff of The Compass Collaborative is part of the Extra! Extra! class lead by teacher Paula Shaibani. The Compass Collaborative is published four times per year corresponding to Compass’s four quarters. Get involved in the quarterly newspaper as an enrolled staff member or unenrolled guest contributor. Read below for further information and for registration links.
The Extra! Extra! class meets weekly to practice writing and plan for the quarterly newspaper publication. The class includes a mix of 6th-12th grade students who make publication decisions and write content; additionally, high school students edit and produce the layout of the newspaper. Each quarter, staff members contribute 2-3 times to The Compass Collaborative.
Staff responsibilities include:
- Assignments/ Content Decisions
- Editing work
- Layout work
- Editorial columns
- Regular columns
- Ongoing Features
The Extra! Extra! class meets weekly on Wednesdays at 2:00pm.
Register here for the first quarter.
The newspaper accepts submissions from guest contributors who are not enrolled in the class. Guest contributions can include artwork, opinion pieces, creative writing, media reviews, and more.
Guest Contributor Guidelines
- Reporters and contributors of written works (creative writing, short stories, opinion articles, reviews, etc.) must contact the editorial staff in advance to discuss their ideas, to receive submission guidelines, and to ensure that layout staff plans space for the works.
- Puzzles, riddles, jokes, photos, art, and comics may be submitted without prior notice.
- All contributions must be submitted by the 5th Friday of each quarter in order to be considered for the next issue.
- All works must be published under the student’s own name (no pseudonyms) and age.
- All staff, reporters, and contributors must be currently enrolled Compass students.
- The editorial staff and advisors may request edits or re-writes or omit a submission in its entirety if it does not fit with the theme of the newspaper or available space.
Interested guest contributors can e-mail the editorial staff of The Compass Collaborative at TheCompassCollaborative@gmail.com