Greater Fairfax Area Homeschool Geography Bee
Geography enthusiasts are encouraged to register for the Greater Fairfax Homeschool Geography Bee!
General Bee Details
- The geography bee is held in the winter quarter every year at Compass’s learning center in Herndon at 520 Herndon Parkway, Suite D, Herndon, VA 20170.
- There is a nominal participation fee; please see the activity fee page for details.
- Homeschooled students in 4th- 8th grades* may participate. *Grade is defined by student’s age-based enrollment if in traditional school without acceleration, grade skipping, or delayed entry.
- Contestants may not have reached their 15th birthday on or before September 1 of the current school year.
- Contestants may not be enrolled in more than 2 high school level or dual-enrolled college classes, regardless of age, to be eligible.
- Homeschooled students from Fairfax and the surrounding counties may participate.
- The school level bee will be an oral Q & A format. There will be a few practice warm-up rounds before “official” questions are asked.
- The Bee will consist of Preliminary, Final, and Championship Rounds, if needed, to obtain a sole school level champion.
- Interested students are encouraged to try the daily National Geographic GeoBee challenge questions.
- Contestants are encouraged to read current newspapers or news magazines along with current events and geography publications.
- Participants can see sample question sheets from past years here: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.