Last Call: Homeschool Geography Bee this Wednesday!
Last call for homeschooled geography fans and enthusiasts! Homeschooled students are invited to participate in the annual Greater Fairfax Homeschoolers Geographic Bee this Wednesday, January 21. Compass is the host site for this “school level” contest for the 2015 National Geographic Bee. This is low-key, smaller- scale geography bee that is great for first-timers. Register today for this fun, friendly geo bee!
Date: Wednesday, January 21
Time: 4:15 pm – 6:00 pm
- Homeschooled students in grades* 4th- 8th may participate. (*grade as defined by student’s age enrollment if in traditional school.)
- Homeschooled students from Fairfax County may participate, regardless of whether or not they take classes at Compass
- Homeschooled students from the “greater”, or surrounding counties, may participate if their home county does not have a geographic bee scheduled for homeschoolers
- Compass students from surrounding counties/cities in Virginia may participate in the Greater Fairfax contest at Compass even if another homeschool bee is scheduled in his/her home county. If a homeschool contest is held in the student’s home county, he/she must select which one to participate in and may not compete in more than one bee.
- Homeschooled students from Maryland, West Virginia, and DC can participate in the bee, but cannot be selected as the Compass school champion because of the progression to the state level bee for Virginia. Check the National Geographic Bee website to locate homeschool geo bees in these areas whose school winner can qualify for state competitions.
- The school level bee will be an oral Q & A format.
- The Bee will consist of Preliminary, Final, and Championship Rounds, if needed, to obtain a sole school level winner.
- The school level winner will take a written test to be invited to qualify to participate in the state level bee in spring 2015.
- There is a registration fee to help offset the cost of school registration. The fee is $15.00 for Compass students and$20.00 for non-Compass students. Register online at the Compass Store page.
- The Bee will be held at 2705 Hunter Mill Road in Oakton on the Compass campus.