Announcing: Greater Fairfax Homeschoolers Geographic Bee at Compass
Compass is the Fairfax County host of a “school level” competition for the National Geographic Bee! Registration is now open for the 2014 Greater Fairfax Homeschoolers Geographic Bee. It will be held on Wednesday afternoon, January 22, from 4:00 – 6:00 pm in Oakton. Sign up now to participate!
There is a $10.00 registration fee to participate to help offset the school registration. Students may register in person at Compass or online through the Compass store.
- Homeschooled students in grades* 4th- 8th may participate. (*grade as defined by student’s age enrollment if in traditional school.)
- Homeschooled students from Fairfax County may participate, regardless of whether or not they take class at Compass.
- Homeschooled students in other northern Virginia counties may participate if they are enrolled at Compass for 2013-14. Students from Prince William, Loudoun, or Arlington counties, for example, may compete in the Greater Fairfax Bee if they are enrolled at Compass. If another homeschool bee is scheduled in the student’s home county, he/she must pick which one to participate in and may not compete in more than one bee.
- Compass students from Maryland cannot participate in this bee because of the progression to the state level bee. Please check the National Geographic Bee website to locate a Maryland homeschool bee.
- The Bee will consist of Preliminary, Final, and Championship Rounds, if needed, to obtain a sole school level winner. The school level winner will take a written test to qualify and be invited to participate in the state level bee on April 4, 2014.
- The school level bee will be an oral Q & A format.
- The Bee will be held at 2705 Hunter Mill Road in Oakton on the Compass campus.
- For additional Bee resources, see the GeoBee website.
Fun fact: Homeschoolers have won the national competition 5 times—out of 24! That’s a pretty good record!