Compass News & Announcements: Week of Nov 6 – 10
Winter Registration, Holiday Workshops, Clothing & Food Drive, and more…
(1) Early Registration for Winter Classes: Begins on Tuesday, November 14 at 6:00 am for all 2nd semester and 3rd quarter classes. 95% of the classes are posted online for families to preview, with details of 10-12 additional classes to be finalized by mid-week. Anyone using the remaining grant funds for winter classes must complete their Compass registration by November 30 in order to receive and submit grant-formatted invoices before the winter break and grant deadline.
(2) Upcoming Calendar: Compass Classes will meet on Tuesday, November 7 (VA election day) and Friday, November 10 (Veterans’ Day observed). Compass Classes will not meet the week of Thanksgiving, November 20-24.
(3) Paint-Your-Own-Pottery Pottery: Registration is still open for the annual pottery painting event on Tuesday, November 14 and Wednesday, November 15. Students can get a head-start on holiday gifts and special keepsakes. Paint personalized ceramic mugs, bowls, plates, figurines, or ornaments. Register for a start time of 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, or 1:00 pm on either date and pre-pay for either 1 or 2 items. Completed pieces will be returned on Monday, November 27. Compass students and non-Compass homeschooled students can sign up on the Activity Fees webpage.
(4) Geography Bee: Registration is now open for the annual Greater Fairfax Homeschool Geography Bee. Bee (grades 4-8) on November 29 from 4:30 pm- 6:00 pm. Compass students and non-Compass homeschooled students can sign up on the Activity Fees webpage.
(5) Cookie Academies: Chef Mimi’s annual Cookie Academies havea few openings left! Students will make, bake, and take home 4-5 dozen cookies. The Tweens/Teens’ academy is scheduled from 1pm-4pm on Saturday, December 2 and will make White Chocolate Cherry Oat, Chocolate and Vanilla Spritz, Palmiers, Pizzelles, and Chai Spiced cookies. The Kids’ academy is scheduled from 1pm-4pm on Saturday, December 9 and will make White Chocolate Cherry Oat, Molassas, and Pumpkin Sugar cookies. Do not wait: there are only 8 spaces available in each academy. Sign up on the Registration page.
(6) Mosaic Ornament Workshops Learn about the art of mosaic and make a beautiful, personalized ornament in mini-ceramic or glass tiles in one of two workshops. The workshops are designed to reintroduce teens to the Mosaic Masterpieces class that will be returning to Compass 3rd quarter on Mondays at 2:00 pm. Register to try your hand at mosaics on Friday evening, December 8, from 4:00 pm- 6:00 pm (an alternative to teen game night) and/or Saturday morning, December 9, from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. The workshops are for students in grades 6-12. Sign up on the Registration page.
(7) Food & Clothing Drive: The students of Alpha Rho chapter of the National Homeschool Honor Society are organizing a food and clothing drive for the ECHO organization (a 501C3) which supports low income families in Burke and Springfield. Alpha Rho is asking Compass families to donate items the week of November 13-17 and place in a box near the main entrance vestibule. Clothing: We can accept donations of gently used men’s, women’s, boys’ and girls’ fall/winter clothing and outerwear in sizes 4T and up; footwear of all sizes; and new-in-package underwear and socks. Donations should be sturdy, easy-to-launder, current styles with no stains or tears. Dress-up and formal styles, summer items, and clothing for infants/toddlers is not needed by this organization.
- Long sleeve/knit shirts
- Sweaters, sweatshirts, hoodies
- Jeans, pants, sweatpants
- Coats, hats, gloves, scarves
- Sneakers, sturdy shoes, boots
- New underwear and socks
Non-Perishable Food: We can accept donations of non-expired, unopened, regular sized packages of food items. Requested items include:
- Protein (canned chicken, tuna, chili, beef stew, Spam)
- Spaghetti sauce
- Tea (green, herbal, black)
- Shelf-stable milk and milk products (including canned and hot chocolate)
- Mac & cheese
- Canned fruit
- Bagged beans (black, red, garbanzo, lentils)
- Bagged rice
- Pancake mix and syrup
- Spices (garlice, onion powder. cinnamon, salt, pepper)
- Lemon/lime juice
- Canned tomatoes
- Healthy snacks (nuts, raisins, dried fruit, granola bars)
- Masa (corn) flour
- Boxed potatoes
- Cooking oil
- Muffin/cornbread mix
(8) School Pictures: Families who had school pictures taken by photographer Angela Goodhart received and email with a link to the online proof gallery on November 6.
(9) Math Kangaroo Competition: Compass will administer the annual Math Kangaroo competition. Math Kangaroo is an international contest that will be held on Thursday, March 21, 2024. Compass is hosting two test sessions at: 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. Students in grades 1-12 will take a 75-minute test with fun and interesting math challenge questions. Prizes and recognitions are provided for all participants and for top scorers. For more contest info, see the Compass Math Kangaroo webpage. Visit the Math Kangaroo website for example and practice problems. Participants must register through the Math Kangaroo USA website by December 15. Look for the option to “Register for an In-Person Center (Public)” to find Compass.