Compass News & Announcements: Week of 9/11/23
Welcome to First Quarter at Compass! Our 12th year is off to a great start. We have enjoyed meeting our new homeschooling families and appreciate everyone’s patience with the many questions of the first week, including some last minute room number changes to accommodate our newly added space in Suite H.
(1) The schedule for 2nd Quarter Fall classes will be available on Monday, September 18, both online and as a paper worksheet. Early registration for 2nd quarter classes opens on Tuesday, September 26 at 6:00 am.
(2) A limited number of spaces are available for tutoring and private instruction with Compass teachers. Ask us about the availability in math*, science*, reading*, writing*, and foreign language* along with instruction in piano, flute, ukulele, voice, guitar, drums, cooking, sewing, and more.
(3) Space is available in the new Compass Lunch-N-Learn* program (Tue, Wed, and Thu at 11am, 12pm, and 1pm). This allows kids to have a supervised lunch hour where educational programming is shown, and kids socialize. As a reminder, kids under age 13 may not have unsupervised hours-off between classes. Families can sign up for a quarter-long session (through the registration page) or can sign up online for a one-time drop-in Lunch-N-Learn for $15.00 per day.
(4) Parents are welcome to rent quiet Co-Working Offices in Suite H while their children are in class. Offices are available for $20.00 per hour with a 1-hour minimum. Parents who wish to rent an office must contact Compass to be added as a parent user and then set up user name, password, and reservation through the online system.
(5) Astronomy Club (for grades 7-12, minimum age 13) will meet on Tuesday, September 12, at 3:00 pm
(6) Kids’ Game Day (for ages 8-13) will be held at Haley M. Smith Park (324 Van Buren Street, Herndon VA 20170) on Tuesday, September 12, at 3:00 pm for outdoor play. This is a drop-in, but names and emails will be collected so the group can be notified each week of an indoor or outdoor meet-up.
(7) Middle School Social Club (for ages 12-14) will have its first meeting on Wednesday, September 13, from 3:00 pm- 4:30 pm in the Suite C Commons. This is a drop-in Ice Cream Social where the calendar of other fall socials and activities will be announced.
(8) Minecraft Club (for grades 5-8) will have its first meeting on Monday, September 18, from 3:00 pm- 4:00 pm. Kids who enjoy building and exploring the beloved block world are invited to join and play together in a shared, collaborative Minecraft world. Sign-up online.
(9) MOEMS Math Club (for grades 4-6) will have its first meeting on Wednesday, September 13, from 3:15 pm- 4:15 pm. Math enthusiasts are invited to meet, practice, and prepare for the MOEMS Competition (Math Olympiads for Elementary and Middle Schools). Advanced 3rd graders are welcome. Sign up online.
(10) TGIF Game Night and Teen Jam Sessions are held weekly on Fridays from 4:30 pm- 6:30 pm in Suite D. These casual, social events are for Compass teens age 13+.
(11) Civil Air Patrol (for ages 12-18) will have an information session on Thursday, September 21, at 7:00 pm for parents and prospective cadets. For more information, contact Squadron Commander – 1st. Lt. Les Flores at email@example.com
(12) Highest Speak * will be offering public speaking classes at Compass on Sunday afternoons starting October 10. The first 5-week session focuses on persuasive speech for kids in grades 2nd-4th (2:00 pm – 4:00 pm) and 5th-8th (4:00 pm- 6:00 pm). Find more information online.
(13) Jennifer Nowicki **, a certified dyslexia specialist and certified reading specialist (M.Ed., CALT, C-SLDS) who is also a former homeschool mom, has moved her professional practice, Spark Reading, into an office in Suite H. Families seeking support or evaluation in these areas can reach her through her website.
(14) Smart Minds Learning will be offering a half-day “Toddlers Learn Arabic” preschool program at Compass starting October 2 for children ages 3-5. Find more information online.
(15) Virginia School of Math *, run by Fairfax Collegiate, is offering math classes for 3rd-12th grade at Compass on Saturdays and Sundays. Find more information online.
*Accepts/Qualifies for the Virginia K-12 Learning Acceleration Grant
**Can invoice through Compass for the K-12 Learning Acceleration Grant