Special Happenings at Compass in Late May
There are several special events planned the final few days of Compass!
On Wednesday, May 23, there is a Giant, Multi-Family Curriculum Sale. Forty families will be selling pre-owned curricula, workbooks, text books, fiction and non-fiction books, reference books, manipulatives, educational games, science or craft kits/sets, and software. Sale hours are 11:00 am – 3:00 pm in the Compass front yard. Bring some cash and pick up bargains on materials for over the summer and next year! The curriculum sale is open to the public.
See the final two historical characters from the American History Alive! series. Martin Luther King Junior (portrayed by Bill Grimmette of Baltimore) will be at Compass on Wednesday, May 23 at 12:00 pm. Rosie the Riveter, portrayed by Mary Ann Jung of Annapolis, will conclude our program on Wednesday, May 30, at 12:00 pm. The American History Alive program will not return until 2020, so try to see one of the final performances. One day passes to these shows are available online through the Compass store or at the door.
The 6th Annual Compass Quads Chess Tournament will be held on Thursday, May 31, at 9:30 am at Nottoway Park in Vienna. See the announcement for more information and register online through the Compass store. The tournament is open to any homeschooled chess player ages 6-16.
The year-end Compass Family Picnic and Field Day will be held on Thursday, May 31, from 12:30 pm- 4:00 pm. Volunteers are needed to run activity stations. Sign up to participate online through the Sign Up Genius link. The picnic and field day are open to any Compass families from 2017-18 and any newly registered 2018-19 families.
A few notes:
– Registration for fall classes opened this morning on Tuesday, May 22. Classes are beginning to fill, so please take a look at the extensive class choices. A 10% early registration discount is offered through June 15.
– Feel free to share this bulletin with other homeschool families. Friends of friends are welcome to drop by for the book sale. Interested homeschool families can pick up a class schedule and tour with Compass staff to answer any questions.
– May 30 is the final day for all Wednesday classes. May 25 is the last day for most Friday classes. For the handful of Friday classes that have make-up days, the last day will be Friday, June 1, and you will receive a reminder.
– Over the summer, Compass students can continue to work on the President’s Volunteer Service Award! Volunteer hours must be completed by August 31.
– Students in grades 7th-12th are invited to apply for membership in the Alpha Rho chapter of Eta Sigma Alpha, the National Homeschool Honor Society. Alpha Rho’s first fall meeting will be on Friday, September 14.
As always, contact us with any questions!