Registration Now Open: Jr. and Sr. Homeschool Spelling Bees
Register now to participate in the 2016 Compass Homeschool Spelling Bees,
A “school level” qualification for the Scripps National Spelling Bee!
Jr. Bee: Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Sr. Bee: Wednesday, February 17, 2016
4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Junior Bee Contest Details:
- The Junior Bee will be held on Wednesday, February 10, from 4:30 pm- 6:00 pm. Registration will begin at 4:15 pm. Ending time will vary based on number of participants.
- The Junior Bee will be for students under age 9 using past Scripps spelling word lists. The bee will be a slightly less formal structure to get kids comfortable spelling in front of an audience.
- The contest will be oral questions and responses with one pronouncer and one judge.
- The top two spellers from the Junior Bee will be invited to participate in the Scripps Senior Bee the next week on Wednesday, February 17.
Senior Bee Contest Details:
- The Senior Bee will be held on Wednesday, February 17, from 4:30 pm- 6:00 pm. Registration will begin at 4:15 pm. Ending time will vary based on number of participants.
- The Senior Bee will be for students age 9 and older plus the two qualifying Junior Bee Spellers.
- The contest will be oral questions and responses following the format, rules, and guidelines of the national Scripps Spelling Bee program.
- The Compass Senior Bee champion will be invited to participate in the Fairfax County Spelling Bee in late March.
General Bee Details/Location
- The Bee will be held at 2705 Hunter Mill Road in Oakton on the Compass campus.
- Registration fee is collected from each participant. The registration fee is $10.00 for Compass students* and $15.00 for non-Compass students. (*A Compass student is one who has been enrolled in a Compass class in 2015-16.)
- Registration is now open! See the Store tab of the Compass website to sign up! Payment may be made by check or credit card.
- Homeschooled students under age 15* and under can participate. *A student must be under age 15 as of August 31, 2015 to participate. (i.e., birthday 9/1/2000 or later).
- This contest is open to all homeschooled students from northern Virginia, regardless of whether or not they take classes at Compass!
- This contest is open to Compass students* who reside in Maryland, West Virginia, and/or Washington DC. Homeschooled students from these areas who do not attend Compass classes cannot be accommodated and are encouraged to find or organize bees in their own area.
- A student may compete in only one local Scripps bee and cannot “shop” around by participating in more than one homeschool spelling bee.
- An optional “Bee Basics” information session will be held for first time participants and their parents on Wednesday, February 10, at 9:00 am, in Room 5 at Compass.
- All registered participants will receive an e-mail with practice words lists.
- Watch YouTube videos (with your parents) YouTube videos of past national spelling bees
- Watch bee-related movies (with your parents) bee-themed movies such as Spellbound or Akeelah and the Bee.
- For questions not answered here, please contact the Spelling Bee coordinator through Compass.