Registration is Open for the 2018 Geography Bee!
Calling all geography buffs and enthusiasts! Registration is open for homeschooled students to participate in the annual Greater Fairfax Homeschoolers Geography Bee. Compass is a host site for this “school level” contest for the 2018 National Geographic Bee.
Date: Wednesday, January 24
Time: 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
- The school level bee will be an oral Q & A format. There will be a few practice warm-up rounds before “official” 2018 questions are asked.
- The Bee will consist of Preliminary, Final, and Championship Rounds, if needed, to obtain a sole school level winner.
- Homeschooled students in grades* 4th- 8th may participate. (*grade as defined by student’s age enrollment if in traditional school.)
- Homeschooled students from Fairfax county may participate, regardless of whether or not they take classes at Compass.
- Homeschooled students from the “greater”, or surrounding counties, may participate if their home county does not have a geographic bee scheduled for homeschoolers.
- Compass students from surrounding counties/cities in Virginia may participate in the Greater Fairfax contest at Compass even if another homeschool bee is scheduled in his/her home county. If a homeschool contest is held in the student’s home county, he/she must select which one to participate in and may not compete in more than one bee.
- Compass students from Maryland cannot participate in this bee because of the progression to the state level bee. Please check the National Geographic Bee website to locate a Maryland homeschool bee.
- The school level winner will take a written test to be invited to qualify for the state level bee in spring 2018.
- There is a $10.00 registration fee to help offset the cost of school registration. ($15.00 for non-Compass students.) Register online at the Compass Store page. The Bee will be held at 2705 Hunter Mill Road in Oakton on the Compass campus.