Registrer Now: 2019 Greater Fairfax Homeschool Geography Bee!
Calling all geography buffs and enthusiasts! Registration is open for homeschooled students to participate in the annual Greater Fairfax Homeschool Geography Bee. Compass is a host site for this “school level” contest for the 2019 National Geographic Bee.
Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Time: 4:15 pm – 6:00 pm
- The school level bee will be an oral Q & A format. There will be a few practice warm-up rounds before “official” 2019 questions are asked.
- The Bee will consist of Preliminary, Final, and Championship Rounds, if needed, to obtain a sole school level winner.
- Homeschooled students in 4th- 8th grades* may participate.
– Grade is defined by student’s age-based enrollment if in traditional school without acceleration, grade skipping, or delayed entry.
– Contestants may not have reached their 15th birthday on or before September 1, 2018.
– Students may not be enrolled in more than three academic courses at the high school and/or college level.
- Homeschooled students from Fairfax county may participate, regardless of whether or not they take classes at Compass.
- Homeschooled students from the “greater”, or surrounding, northern Virginia counties (Arlington, Loudoun, Prince William, Fauquier, etc.) may participate if their home county does not have a geographic bee scheduled for homeschoolers.
- Homeschooled students (including Compass students) from Maryland, West Virginia, or DC cannot participate in this bee because of the progression to the state level bee. Please check the National Geographic Bee website to locate a homeschool bee in your state.
- The school level winner will take a written test to be invited to qualify for the state level bee in spring 2019.
- There is a $10.00 registration fee to help offset the cost of school registration. ($15.00 for non-Compass students.) Register online at the Compass Store page. The Bee will be held at 2705 Hunter Mill Road in Oakton on the Compass campus.