Register Now! Senior Homeschool Spelling Bee, Ages 9-15 Invited
2019 Senior Spelling Bee: Wednesday, February 19
- Spelling and word enthusiasts are encouraged to join us for this spelling bee which is a “school level” contest for in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. The Compass winner will advance to the Fairfax County spelling bee in March. The Senior Spelling Bee is for students ages 9-15.
- The Senior Bee will be held on Wednesday, February 19, starting at 4:30 pm. Participants will be asked to gather at 4:15 pm, and the bee will begin at 4:30 pm. Ending time will vary based on number of participants (6:30 -7:00 pm?).
- The Senior Bee will be for students age 9-15 plus our two qualifying Junior Bee Spellers.
- The contest will be oral questions and responses following the format, rules, and guidelines of the national Scripps Spelling Bee program.
- The Compass Senior Bee champion will be invited to participate in the Fairfax County Spelling Bee in late March.
- Registrations will be accepted until 4:00 pm on Tuesday, February 18. See the Store tab of the Compass website to sign up!
- Entry fees are collected to offset the cost of school registration. $10.00 for Compass students; $15.00 for non-Compass students.
- The bee will be held at 2705 Hunter Mill Road in Oakton in the Program Building on the Compass campus.
- Homeschooled students under age 15* and under can participate in the Senior Bee. *A student must be under age 15 as of August 31, 2019 to participate. (i.e., birthday 9/1/2004 or later).
- This contest is open to all homeschooled students from northern Virginia, regardless of whether or not they take classes at Compass!
- This contest is also open to Compass students* who reside in Maryland, West Virginia, and/or Washington DC. Homeschooled students from these areas who do not attend Compass classes cannot be accommodated and are encouraged to find or organize bees in their own area.
- A student may compete in only one local Scripps bee and cannot “shop” around by participating in more than one homeschool spelling bee.
- All registered participants will receive an e-mail with practice words lists.
- Visit spelling practice websites such as Word Central and Spell It
- Watch YouTube videos (with your parents) YouTube videos of past national spelling bees
- Watch bee-related movies (with your parents) bee-themed movies such as Spellbound or Akeelah and the Bee.
The Senior Bee is open to area homeschoolers regardless of whether or not they take classes at Compass. See eligibility and details below:
Senior Spelling Bee Contest Details:
General Bee Details/Location: