News & Announcements: Week of March 27-31
(1) Spring Break: Remember that next week, April 3-April 7 is Spring Break so Compass classes will not meet.
(2) Food Truck Week: Food trucks are scheduled Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week. Look for Hangry Panda (Asian fusion) on Tuesday, Ribeye Philadelphia Cheesesteaks on Wednesday, and Leo’s Food Truck (street tacos, quesadillas) on Thursday. Food trucks will be in front of Suite C from 11:00 am – 1:30 pm. Pre-order or walk-up for Hangry Panda, walk-up only for others.
(3) First Aid/CPR: Only 3 spaces remain for the spring session of 6-hour (2 afternoons) First Aid/CPR training for teens ages 14+ will be offered on April 24 and May 1 from 1:00 pm- 4:00 pm both days. Earn 4 American Heart Association certifications and get ready and get ready for summer work as a life guard, camp counselor, or babysitter. Register HERE.
(4) Year End Evaluations: It is the time of year that many families begin to think about the Virginia-required “Evidence of Progress” (EOP) for their homeschooled students. This can be accomplished through a meeting with an evaluator or a standardized test administered at home. Compass writing teacher Shannon McClain performs year-end homeschool evaluations including some meet-ups at Compass. Contact her at her business, Educational Advocacy & Support, or stop by the Compass office to schedule an evaluation time slot.
(5) Annual Used Curriculum Sale: Save the date for the annual multi-family Used Curriculum sale, on Wednesday, April 19 (rain date April 26). Start to clean out your closets and bookcases. See webpage for details on the Curriculum Sale. A sign up link will be sent to spring-enrolled families on March 31.
(6) Spring Marketplace: Save the date for Compass’s annual Spring Marketplace where students and parents sell homemade items such as crafts, jewelry, baked goods, home-grown seedlings, and more. It will be held on Wednesday, May 3 (rain date May 10). Check out the slideshow from our 2013-2019 sales for merchandise ideas. A sign up link will be sent to spring-enrolled families on April 10.
(7) Spring Prom: Save the date for the Compass Spring Prom to be held on Saturday, May 6, at a Reston Country Club. Watch for upcoming details.
(8) 2023 Graduation: Students interested in participating in the 2023 High School Graduation on June 3 need to make sure their names are on Compass’s list and submit their deposit by Friday, March 31.
(9) PenPoint Submissions Needed: The annual Compass literary and arts anthology, PenPoint, is now accepting submissions for its 2023 publication. Students in grades 7-12 can submit fiction, poetry, essays, and 2-D art/photographs. Read submission guidelines online or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
(10) 2023-24 Look-Ahead: Planning is underway for next year’s classes. Starting this week, classes will begin to be uploaded to the registration page in batches. This page will show as “under construction” until all classes are uploaded. Families can check back periodically to watch as additional classes are added. The full schedule of classes will be available online and in a paper worksheet no later than May 1. Early registration will open on Tuesday, May 16, at 6:00 am.
(6) Save the Dates:
- Food Truck Week: March 28-30
- Teen Game Night: March 31 (also April 14, 21, 28, May 5, 12)
- Spring Break: April 3-7- No Classes
- Compass Family Used Curriculum Sale: April 19 (rain date April 26)
- Food Truck Week: April 18-20
- Spring Marketplace: May 3 (rain date May 10)- watch for sign-up in early April
- 2023 Spring Prom: May 6- watch for details/registration
- Mother’s Day Chocolate Bouquet Workshop: May 13 (two levels, see registration page)
- Early Registration for Fall 2023: May 16
- Food Truck Week: May 16-18
- Annual Quads Chess Tournament: May 24. Register HERE
- Picnic & Park Day: May 25- watch for sign-up in early May
- Graduation: June 3- make sure you are on the Compass list of graduates