News & Announcements: Week of February 20
(1) President’s Day: Compass classes will meet on Monday, February 20. President’s Day, like MLK Day and Columbus Day, are not days off for Compass.
(2) Spring Registration is open and ongoing. An early registration discount is offered through March 3. Check the schedule because classes are filling, and more than 35 classes are on waitlist.
(3) New: Future Leaders Club: Interested students will meet 4 times in 4th quarter as a pilot for next year. Future Leader club is for teens in 9th-12th grade. Students will learn networking, principles of leadership, conflict resolution, public speaking, starting a business, creative and critical thinking, team-building, collaborative work, interview practice, etiquette for a business lunch/dinner, etc. Members will take turns preparing topics. Parents or community members may be invited as speakers. This spring, the group will decide student leadership structure and plan for topics in 2023-24. No dues for spring 2023. Meeting dates: Mondays from 3:00 pm-4:00 pm, March 27, April 10, April 24, May 8. RSVP to Karissa Sweeny (email@example.com)
(4) Ney Mello in Concert: Compass guitar teacher Ney Mello will be performing at the Atlas Performing Arts Complex in DC on Sunday, March 12, at 4:00 pm, as part of the Intersections Music Festival. Mr. Mello will be playing jazz guitar improvisations and performing alongside keyboardist Erica Wang and Shulin Song on electric piano. He would love to see his guitar students and other Compass families at the concert. More information and tickets HERE.
(5) Available Private Tutoring/Lessons: Many Compass teachers are still accepting students for individual instruction or tutoring. Instructors available for math, science, reading, writing, foreign languages, cooking, sewing, singing, and several musical instruments. Following is a partial list of available timeslots. Contact Compass for other times and other topics.
- Sewing: Mondays, 10:00 am – 11:00 am, 3:00 pm- 4:00 pm; Wednesdays, 3:30 pm- 4:30 pm
- Drumming or Guitar: Mondays, 11:00 am- 12:00 pm or 2:00 pm- 2:30 pm; Fridays, 2:00 pm- 2:30 pm
- Reading: Mondays, 3:00 pm- 4:00 pm
- Cooking: Wednesdays 9:00 am- 10:00 am, Thursdays 10:00 am- 11:00 am, Fridays 9:00 am- 10:00 am
- Writing: Thursdays 10:00 am – 11:00 am or 2:00 pm- 3:00 pm
- Piano/Flute/Ukulele: Wait list only
(6) Save the Dates:
- Snow Ball Winter Semi-Formal: February 25. Late ticket sales HERE.
- Senior Spelling Bee: March 1. Register HERE
- Food Truck Week: February 28, March 1, March 2- watch for menu details
- Math Kangaroo Competition: March 16 for pre-registered students
- Spring Quarter: begins Monday, March 20. Browse and register HERE
- Spring Break: April 3-7- No Classes
- Easter Candy Kitchen: March 26 (two levels, see registration page)
- Food Truck Week: March 28-30
- Compass Family Used Curriculum Sale: April 19 (rain date April 26)- watch for sign-up in early April
- Food Truck Week: April 18-20
- Spring Marketplace: May 3 (rain date May 10)- watch for sign-up in early April
- 2023 Spring Prom: May 6- watch for details/registration
- Mother’s Day Chocolate Bouquet Workshop: May 13 (two levels, see registration page)
- Early Registration for Fall 2023: May 16
- Food Truck Week: May 16-18
- Annual Quads Chess Tournament: May 24. Register HERE
- Picnic & Park Day: May 25- watch for sign-up in early May
- Graduation: June 3- make sure you are on the Compass list of graduates