New Class: Environmental Science and Policy, Starts 10/30
Introducing a new Compass class: Environmental Science and Policy for students in 7th-9th grade.
Students will explore current environmental topics and policies such as acid rain, stratospheric ozone depletion, smog and regional haze, and climate change. Students will examine policies such as the Clean Air Act, UN Convention on Climate Change and Kyoto Protocol.
Taught at a high school level for motivated middle school schoolers, students will learn to:
- Collect real data and conduct analyses for each pollution problem.
- Develop an individual project on environmental problem/ policy solution
- Take optional field trip to the Marion Koshland Science Museum Earth Lab
- Critical thinking, facilitated discussion
- Interpret data-rich graphs and scientific diagrams
- Perform analytical work in Excel
The class is offered 2nd quarter at Compass, starting October 30, from 10:00 am – 10:55 am on Wednesdays in Oakton. See website for complete course description, instructor profile, schedule of other courses, and online registration.