Compass News: Last Chances, Reminders, and Important Updates
(1) REGISTRATION for Fall 2023 classes will open on Tuesday, May 16, at 6:00 am! The paper schedule worksheet is available at the Compass front desks, and the online registration page will be complete this week. Feel free to contact Compass with any questions on the new course offerings.
(2) REMINDER: Mock Trial Information Session: High school students interested in Compass’s Mock Trial Team are invited to attend an information session this Friday, May 5, at 3:00 pm. Students should gather in the Suite C Commons. (510 Herndon Parkway, Suite C). Students do not have to be enrolled at Compass to attend the information session or to audition, but must be enrolled at Compass for at least one class if selected for the team. More information on Mock Trial can be found HERE. Questions can be directed to: CompassMockTrial@gmail.com
(3) LAST CHANCE: Prom Tickets: Tomorrow, Thursday, May 4, is the final day to purchase tickets for the 2023 Garden Gala Prom. The prom will be held this Saturday, May 6, from 7:00 pm- 10:00 pm at the Hidden Creek Country Club in Reston. The prom is for Compass students ages 14+ and their guests. Late registration tickets are now $45.00 per person. Interested teens can learn more on the Prom on the Event Information webpage and purchase tickets on the Activity Fees webpage.
(4) RESCHEDULED: Spring Marketplace: The annual Spring Marketplace scheduled for today, Wednesday, May 3, has been postponed until Wednesday, May 10 because of unseasonably cool, windy weather. Marketplace is a casual, social gathering where students and parents sell homemade items such as crafts, jewelry, baked goods, home-grown seedlings, and more. With the extension, it is not too late for additional crafters and bakers to sign up as marketplace sellers. Current Compass families can still sign up through the Sign Up Genius provided (or contact Compass for link). Check out the slideshow from our 2013-2019 sales for merchandise ideas.
(5) COMING UP: Mother’s Day Chocolate Bouquet Workshops: It is not too late for kids to enroll and join Chef Mimi on Saturday, May 13, for a 2-hour class to dip, drizzle, and decorate chocolate-coated strawberries, pretzels, and marshmallows that will be arranged as an edible bouquet to present to mom. Two sessions: Kids in 2nd-6th grade, from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, register HERE and Tweens/Teens in 7th-12th grade, from 12:30 pm- 2:30 pm, register HERE.
(6) First Aid/CPR: An additional First Aid/CPR workshop has been added this spring so teens can earn 4 American Heart Association certifications and get ready for summer work as a life guard, camp counselor, or babysitter or to get ready to go off to college. This is a 6-hour workshop is held on two consecutive Mondays, May 14 and May 21 from 1:00 pm- 4:00 pm. Register HERE.
(7) DON’T FORGET: Year End Evaluations: Families need to make plans for their year-end, Virginia-required “Evidence of Progress” (EOP) for their homeschooled students. This can be accomplished through a meeting with an evaluator or a standardized test administered at home. Compass teacher Shannon McClain performs year-end homeschool evaluations. Contact her at her business, Educational Advocacy & Support, or call/stop by the Compass office to schedule an evaluation time slot.
(8) COMING UP: Annual Quads Chess Tournament: Registration is now open for the 2023 Homeschool Quads Chess Tournament on Wednesday, May 24 from 10:00 am- 12:30 pm. Homeschool players ages 6- 16 from around the area are invited for a morning of chess. The morning tournament is limited to 48 players. If we have enough interest, a second, afternoon tournament will be added. Sign up on the Activity Fees webpage.
(9) COMING SOON: ANNUAL PICNIC & PARK DAY: Current Compass families should watch for the Sign Up Genius link early next week for our Annual Picnic & Park Day which will be held Thursday, May 25 from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm at Bready Park in Herndon. Compass rents the large pavilion and sports field, and the Alpha Rho Honor Society teens organize field day games for kids of all ages.
(10) CANCELLED: Teen Game Night will not be held this week on Friday, May 5, because of final prom preparations.