Homeschoolers Geo Bee on 1/21/15; Still Time to Register
Calling all geography buffs and enthusiasts! Homeschooled students are invited to participate in the annual Greater Fairfax Homeschoolers Geographic Bee. Compass is the host site for this “school level” contest for the 2015 National Geographic Bee. This is a low-key, smaller- scale, friendly and fun geo bee that is great for first-timers.
Date: Wednesday, January 21
Time: 4:15 pm – 6:00 pm
- Homeschooled students in grades* 4th- 8th may participate. (*grade as defined by student’s age enrollment if in traditional school.)
- Homeschooled students from Fairfax county may participate, regardless of whether or not they take classes at Compass.
- Homeschooled students from the “greater”, or surrounding counties, may participate if their home county does not have a geographic bee scheduled for homeschoolers.
- Compass students from surrounding counties/cities in Virginia may participate in the Greater Fairfax contest at Compass even if another homeschool bee is scheduled in his/her home county. If a homeschool contest is held in the student’s home county, he/she must select which one to participate in and may not compete in more than one bee.
- Compass students from Maryland cannot participate in this bee because of the progression to the state level bee. Please check the National Geographic Bee website to locate a Maryland homeschool bee.
- The Bee will consist of Preliminary, Final, and Championship Rounds, if needed, to obtain a sole school level winner.
- The school level winner will take a written test to be invited to qualify to participate in the state level bee in spring 2015.
- The school level bee will be an oral Q & A format.
- There is a $15.00 registration fee to help offset the cost of school registration. Register online at the Compass Store page.
- The Bee will be held at 2705 Hunter Mill Road in Oakton on the Compass campus.