Compass News & Announcements: Week of October 24-28
Welcome to the start of 2nd quarter! We are looking forward to an exciting slate of new classes and meeting some new families. Look for a variety of fun, upcoming activities, clubs, workshops, and events:
(1) Registration for 2nd quarter classes is ongoing! Last minute, same day, walk-in, and late registrations are welcome.
(2) Costumes: Students may wear costumes to class October 24-31, if desired, subject to the Costume Guidelines* below. Students in costume may stop by the front desk for a photo and a prize from a prize bin.
(3) First Aid/CPR Workshop: Teens/adults ages 14+ can earn four American Heart Association certifications (First Aid, Adult CPR, Child CPR, and Infant CPR) in a two-afternoon workshop that meets on two Mondays, November 7 and November 14 from 2:00 pm- 5:00 pm. More details and registration HERE.
(4) Annual Paint-Your-Own-Pottery Party: Students can get a head-start on holiday gifts and special keepsakes at our annual pottery painting event! Paint personalized ceramic mugs, bowls, plates, figurines, or ornaments. Register for start time of 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, or 1:00 pm on November 15, 16, or 17, and pre-pay for either 1 or 2 items. Completed pieces will be returned on Monday, November 28. Sign up HERE.
(5) Holiday Sweets & Treats Workshops: Kids, tweens, and teens can join holiday fun and festivities when they learn to bake and decorate delicious sweets and treats in half-day weekend workshops in the Compass kitchen. Click the link for full workshop description and to register:
- Cookie Academy- Tweens (Saturday, Nov. 19, 10:00 am- 1:00 pm)
- Cookie Academy- Teens (Saturday, Nov. 19, 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm)
- Cookie Academy- Kids (Sunday, Nov. 20, 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Chocolate Crafters- Tweens (Saturday, Dec. 3, 10:00 am- 1:00 pm)
- Chocolate Crafters- Teens (Saturday, Dec. 3, 1:30 pm- 4:30 pm)
- Deck-the-House Gingerbread Workshop- Little Kids (Sunday, Dec. 4, 11:00 am- 12:30 pm)
- Deck-the-House Gingerbread Workshop- Kids (Sunday, Dec. 4, 1:00 pm- 3:00 pm)
(6) Autumn’s Eve, a costume party: Compass teens ages 14+ (grades 9-12) and their guests (+1) are invited for Autumn’s Eve, a costume party, on Saturday, November 5, from 7:00 pm- 9:30 pm. Games, music, and dancing. Pizza, “pumpkin” treats, snacks, water, and apple cider will be served. All Compass rules on behavior and dress code will apply to all partygoers. Cost is $15.00 per person. Sign up HERE.
(7) AMC Math Competitions: Compass is a test site for two upcoming Mathematical Association of America contests. The AMC10 exam will be administered on Wednesday, November 16, from 4:30 pm- 6:00 pm. The AMC8 will be administered on Thursday, January 19, from 3:30 pm- 4:10 pm. The tests promote problem-solving skills through challenge problems for middle school math (AMC8) and high school math through grade 10 (AMC10). Register on the Activity Fees webpage HERE.
(8) Math Kangaroo: Compass is a test site for the annual Math Kangaroo competition! Math Kangaroo is an international contest held Thursday, March 16, 2023. Students in K-12th take a 75 min test with fun and interesting math challenge questions. Register by December 15 through the Math Kangaroo USA website HERE. Search by state to find the 3 test times offered at Compass.
(9) College Admissions Catch-Up (for high school seniors): If you are feeling behind and are scrambling to pull everything together for your teen to apply to college this fall, it is not too late! Most regular decision admissions deadlines are in January, so there is still time. Compass will host a roundtable discussion on Monday, October 24, at 3:00 pm to help answer questions and fill in the gaps. Sign up HERE.
(10) Middle School Look-Ahead: Parents of middle school students in 6th-8th grade are invited to a casual presentation and facilitated Q & A discussion about key skills to master in middle school to be ready for high school- whether homeschool or brick-and-mortar- and what the homeschooled option can look like. Wednesday, October 26 at 9:00 am. Sign up HERE.
(11) Compass Collaborative Newspaper: The first quarter fall edition of the Compass student newspaper has been printed. Pick up a paper copy at the front desk or review it online HERE.
(12) Name-A-Planet: The Compass Planetary Science class is participating in the international competition, NameExoWorlds 2022, to name a newly discovered exoplanet and its star. The class is seeking submissions of name ideas from other Compass students and the community through the class webpage. Learn more HERE.
(13) Parents’ Facebook Group: Parents are invited to join the Compass Parents Facebook group to plan meet-ups, carpools, parent proxies, and to share information about outside classes, field trips, and other activities you are involved in.
(14) Compass Phone Number: Remember to add the Compass phone number to your phone contact list so you recognize us if we need to call you: 703-539-5075. The hours for the Compass phone number are 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Mon-Fri. Outside of these hours, please leave a voicemail with your questions.
Meetings & Gatherings this Week:
- Sewing Workroom…Mon. 10/24 @ 3:00 pm. New members welcome. Register HERE
- Dungeons & Dragons…Mon. 10/24 @ 3:00 pm. Full. Join WAITLIST
- College Admissions Catch-Up…Mon. 10/24 @ 3pm. RSVP HERE
- Crafty Kids Club…Tue. 10/25 @ 3:00 pm. New members welcome. Register HERE
- Astronomy Club…off week/ not meeting. New members welcome. Register HERE
- Compass Collaborative Newspaper…off week/ not meeting. New student staff/contributors welcome. Register HERE.
- Middle School Look-Ahead Wed. 10/26 @ 9:00 am. RSVP HERE
- Crazy 8s Junior Math Club…Wed. 10/26 @ 3:00 pm. 2 spaces remaining. Sign up HERE
- Tween Game Afternoon…Wed. 10/26 @ 3:00 pm. Drop-in for enrolled students ages 10-13.
- MathCounts Team…Thu. 10/27 @ 3:00 pm. New members welcome. Sign up HERE
- Homeschool Girl Scout Troop 3327…off week/ not meeting. Contact troop to get involved.
- Civil Air Patrol…Thu. 10/27 from 7:00 pm- 9:00 pm. Contact squadron to get involved.
- Alpha Rho National Honor Society…off week/ not meeting. New members welcome.
- High School Mock Trial Team…Fri. 10/28 from 3:00 pm- 4:30 pm. Team full for 2022-23.
- Compass Comics Club…Fri. 10/28 from 3:30 pm- 4:30 pm. New members welcome. Sign up HERE.
- The History of Science Book Club…Fri. 10/28 from 3:00 pm- 4:00 pm. New members welcome. Sign up HERE.
- TGIF Teen Game Night…Fri. 10/28 from 4:30 pm- 6:30 pm. Drop-in for enrolled students 13+.
- No excessive, realistic blood and gore that would scare our youngest students
- No costumes that are skimpy/revealing and violate the regular Compass dress policy regarding modesty and appropriate coverage.
- No costumes that would interfere with what a child needs to do in class (for example: furry claw gloves in art class or a full face mask in lab.)
- No costumes that “shed” or drop glitter, sequins, feathers, etc.
- No oversized costumes (for example: inflatables, washer boxes, or trash cans)
- For students in cooking classes, no capes, long droopy sleeves, long wigs or similar that could get into food
- Compass is not responsible for costumes damaged during class or play or for accessories that are left behind
- Use good judgement