Compass News & Announcements: Week of February 2-10
Compass is heading into our “busy season” of spring registration, planning for 2023-24, and a variety of annual, extracurricular events:
(1) Spring Registration for 4th Quarter classes will begin on Tuesday, February 14, at 6:00 am. Browse the new class selections online or pick up a paper schedule at the front desk. A 10% early registration discount is offered through March 3. Spring classes begin on March 20.
(2) Food Truck Week: Next week, food trucks will be onsite to give Compass families some fun, new lunch options from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm. Families may order ahead through apps to skip the lines. All food trucks will have at least 2 kids’ meal options.
- Leo’s Food Truck (Tuesday, February 7) Street tacos, quesadillas
- Pattie Party (Wednesday, February 8) Jamaican patties with savoring fillings.
- From Tuscany with Love (Thursday, February 9) Spaghetti, meatball sandwiches, subs
(3) Valentine’s Cookie Workshops: Join Chef Mimi for Saturday workshops to make delicious Valentines’ cookies. Kids will make 3 types of festive cookies while tweens & teens will learn to decorate with glossy smooth royal icing. Open to siblings, friends, neighbors.
- Valentine’s Cookie Creations- Kids: February 11, 10:00 am- 1:00 pm
- Valentine’s Cookie Kitchen with Decorating- Tweens/Teens: February 11, 1:30 pm- 4:30 pm
(4) Annual Valentines Exchange: Sign-ups for the annual Valentines Exchange are now closed with more than 100 children participating. Participating children will drop off decorated “mailboxes” on February 3, 6, or 7, deliver Valentines February 8-14 , and pick up their full boxes on February 15-17.
(5) Greater Fairfax Homeschool Geography Bee (grades 4-8) will be held on Wednesday, February 15, 2023, from 4:00 pm- 6:00 pm. Compass families sign up HERE. Non-Compass homeschool families sign up HERE.
(8) Snow Ball Semi-Formal: Tickets are now on sale for the teen winter party on Saturday, February 25, from 7:00 pm- 9:30 pm. Compass teens ages 14+ will enjoy music, games, winter crafts, pizza, snacks, and hot chocolate. Compass teens may bring a non-Compass guest. Parent chaperones and helpers will be needed.
(9) President’s Day: Monday classes will meet on February 20 even though it is federal holiday.
(10) Private Instruction/Tutoring is available at Compass, by Compass teachers/partners in math, reading, writing, study skills, college prep, SAT/ACT prep, French, Spanish, Mandarin, history, and science. Also, one-on-one, private lessons or small group semi-private lessons are available in sewing, chess, piano, voice, violin, flute, clarinet, ukulele, recorder, guitar, and now, drumming. See the Private Instruction/Tutoring webpage, stop by the Front Desk, or email Compass to inquire.
(11) Are You Getting News? Make sure you are getting all of the Compass news! Check your email settings to make sure email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org are on your safe senders list. If you use Gmail, check for Compass emails in your Promotions or spam folders. Please add the Compass phone number 703-539-5075 to your phone so you recognize a call or text from us. Finally, follow Compass on Facebook and Instagram for updates that go out through social media.
(12) Curriculum Donations: The Scholarium Foundation, a Compass-affiliated non-profit, accepts donations of new/like new homeschool curriculum, children’s books, educational games, math manipulatives, etc. Materials need to be less than 5 years old and have no writing or used/missing pages. Donated materials are resold to raise money for the President’s Volunteer Service Awards, and tax deductible receipts are available.
(13) Winter Weather: In the event of inclement weather, Compass will make an announcement by 7:00 am about whether or not to close or cancel a portion of the day’s classes. Compass does not strictly follow the lead of Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). A closure or delay of FCPS does not automatically mean that Compass will close or delay for inclement weather. Instead, the Compass director and staff will evaluate weather and road data and make an independent determination. This decision will be posted on the website home page, on the Compass Facebook page, and by e-mail to all enrolled students and instructors.
Meetings & Gatherings in the Coming Week:
- Dungeons & Dragons Club…Mon. 2/6 @ 3:00 pm.
- Crafty Kids Club…Tue. 2/7 @ 3:00 pm.
- Astronomy Club…Tue. 2/7 @ 3:00 pm.
- Crazy 8s Junior Math Club…Wed. 2/8 @ 3:00 pm. Space available; sign up HERE
- Tween Game Afternoon…Wed. 2/8 @ 3:00 pm. Drop-in for enrolled students ages 10-13.
- MathCounts Team…Thu. 2/2 @ 3:00 pm.
- Homeschool Girl Scout Troop 3327…Thu. 2/2. General meeting. Contact troop to get involved.
- Civil Air Patrol…Thu. 2/2 from 7:00 pm- 9:00 pm. Contact squadron to get involved.
- Alpha Rho National Honor Society…Fri. 2/3 @ 3:15 pm. Deadline for new members is 2/28
- High School Mock Trial Team…Fri. 2/3 @ 3:00 pm. Regional competition 2/4
- Compass Comics Club…Fri. 2/3 from 3:30 pm- 4:30 pm.
- The History of Science Book Club…Fri. 2/10 @ 3:00 pm
- TGIF Teen Game Night…Fri. 1/20 from 4:30 pm- 6:30 pm. Drop-in for enrolled students 13+.