Announcing the 2015 Compass Homeschool Spelling Bee…Registration Now Open
The 2015 Compass Homeschooling Spelling Bee is a “school level” contest for the Scripps National Spelling Bee and is open to all northern Virginia homeschoolers! Registration is now open.
Date: Wednesday, February 4, 2015
Time: 4:15 pm – 6:00 pm
- The Bee will be held on Wednesday, February 4, from 4:15 pm- 6:00 pm. Registration will begin at 4:00 pm. Ending time will vary based on number of participants.
- The Bee will be held at 2705 Hunter Mill Road in Oakton on the Compass campus.
- The contest will open with a Junior Bee for kids age 8 and under. The Junior Bee will be conducted using the same format at the overall bee. The top two winners of the Junior Bee will be invited to remain and participate in the Compass Homeschool Spelling Bee.
- The contest will be oral questions and responses following the format, rules, and guidelines of the national Scripps Spelling Bee program.
- The Compass champion will be invited to participate in the Fairfax County Spelling Bee on March 22, 2015
- A registration fee is collected from each participant. The registration fee is $15.00 for Compass students* and $20.00 for non-Compass students. (*A Compass student is one who has been enrolled in a Compass class in 2014-15.)
- Registration is now open! See the Store tab of the Compass website to sign up! Payment may be made by check or credit card.
- Homeschooled students under age 15* can participate. *A student must be under age 15 as of August 31, 2014 to participate. (i.e., birthday 9/1/1999 or later).
- This contest is open to all homeschooled students from northern Virginia, regardless of whether or not they take classes at Compass!
- This contest is open to Compass students* who reside in Maryland, West Virginia, and/or Washington DC. Homeschooled students from these areas who do not attend Compass classes cannot be accommodated and are encouraged to find or organize bees in their own area.
- A student may compete in only one local Scripps bee and cannot “shop” around by participating in more than one homeschool spelling bee.
- An optional “Bee Basics” information session will be held for first time participants and their parents on Wednesday, February 4, at 9:00 am, in Room 5 at Compass.
- All registered participants will receive an e-mail with practice words lists.
- Watch YouTube videos (with your parents) YouTube videos of past national spelling bees
- Watch bee-related movies (with your parents) bee-themed movies such as Spellbound or Akeelah and the Bee.
- For questions not answered here, please contact the Spelling Bee coordinator through Compass.